Tuesday, May 5, 2009

IEs4Linux in Jaunty

Ok, so I had neglected to blog what I did in Intrepid and I ran into a wrinkle remembering HOW I did it. So, here is a full list of what I did. This is on a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

1) Add official repository for WINE (instructions http://winehq.org/download/deb).

2) Open a terminal

user@computer:~$ sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
user@computer:~$ wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
user@computer:~$ tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
user@computer:~$ cd ies4linux-*
user@computer:~$ ./ies4linux --no-gui --install-ie7


Adding the option "--no-gui" will allow it to install on Ubuntu (avoids the Python error doing it without the option). The other option "--install-ie7" creates a clone of the ie6 with the rendering engines of IE7. It is BUGGY for sure. But, I can just delete it if I need to later.

After install I add menus manually, delete the "bin" the install created in my home folder (has startup scripts, but I just created menu entries and didn't use these), delete "ies4linux-latest.tar.gz" and the extracted files located in my home folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment